Of course if the results of your homemade Elderflower cordial are, how can we say, perhaps less than palatable you can throw a few glugs of a ready-made version; Belvoir make a fine version.
I’ve served these Strawberry and Elderflower Creams in cocktail glasses, you can often find these in charity shops for little more than a pound. Decorate with strawberries on a cocktail skewer and a light dusting of icing sugar.
Recipe Strawberry & Elderflower Creams
- 500g hulled strawberries
- 3 tablespoons Elderflower Cordial
- 85g caster sugar
- 4 gelatine leaves
- 300ml whipping cream
- 2 strips lemon zest
- Select a few strawberries for decoration and process the others with the cordial and sugar.
- Soak the gelatine in a dish of cold water, leave to soak while heating the cream. Add the lemon zest to the cream and heat slowly and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat. Add the gelatine (squeeze out the excess water) and stir to dissolve.
- Cool until warm. remove the zest then mix in the strawberry puree. Spoon into glasses and leave to set in the fridge for 3-4 hours.
- Bring back to room temperature before serving.
(A recipe first posted in May 2009. Update in 2016 with new photographs.)