Tempting as it is to make a rhubarb syrup and go the gin/Prosecco cocktail route I resist (I’m out of gin!) instead a quick and simple recipe to use those first 8 stalks – Rhubarb Fool.
Rhubarb Fool Recipe
- 450g rhubarb trimmed and sliced
- 150ml double cream
- 4 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- juice of 1 lemon
- Place the prepared rhubarb in a pan with the lemon juice, sugar and vanilla pod. Cover and bring to a simmer. Gently cook for 8-10 minutes. Cool.
- Remove the vanilla pod and, if required, push through a sieve to remove any stringy bits.
- Whip the double cream to a quite stiff consistency then fold through the rhubarb puree.
- Pour into serving glasses and chill until required.
Serve the Rhubarb Fool with a texture-contrasting sweet biscuit or a Bonne Maman Petites Tartlet With Lemon or, as here, a Bonne Maman Madeleine.
Ever hopeful of a continuing bumper crop of rhubarb I have my eye on Cooksisters Rhubarb and Pear Muffins while Meeta’s Rhubarb, Mango and Passion Fruit Brioche Galette is crying out for a Sunday lunch. Rhubarb syrup cocktails are most definitely going to be making an appearance.