An old recipe previously blogged way back in 2007. One requiring an re-airing, if only so I can easily call up the recipe later this week as I do have a large stack of Chorizo to use up. Do forgive the poor quality of the photo. If anything it shows how much my photography has (I hope) improved over the intervening seven years since this original was taken.
“For this wine and food matching exercise an ingredient that is a little tricky to match successfully – eggs. The mouth-coating properties of egg yolks are what cause the problem. Breakfast-style dishes that involve eggs are often delicious with a sparkling wine or champagne, but here, with the addition of spices, tomatoes and chorizo sausage such a match is not a guaranteed success.”
Back in 2007 the wine of choice to match this dish was a Primitivo, of course finding the original wine will be next to impossible, but at least I have an ‘excuse’ to go out and buy a bottle. Quite exciting really as I cant recall the last time I drank a Primitivo.
Recipe: Paprika and Chorizo Baked Eggs
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 100g chorizo sausage skinned, roughly chopped
- 100g thick cut Serrano ham, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper deseeded and diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 medium-hot green chillies deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp hot paprika
- 1x400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco
- 1 tbsp chopped Oregano
- 150ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 8 medium eggs
- 100g cheddar, grated (optional)
- Heat oil, over medium-low heat in a pan.
- Add chorizo and ham and fry gently for 5 minutes. Remove.
- Add red pepper and onion, increase heat and fry until soft but not brown. Heat oven to 200C.
- Add garlic, chillies, cumin and paprika to the pan and fry for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, Tabasco, oregano, hot stock and chorizo/ham. Simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- Season and spoon into 4x12cm shallow ovenproof dishes. Break 2 eggs into each dish and scatter over cheese if using. Bake 10-12 minutes until eggs are set to your liking. Serve with crusty bread.