An updated post from 2005 – now with a slightly better photo and full recipe instructions. This is Chocolate Cloud Cake! No recollection of where the original recipe came from, although at a guess it is a Nigel Slater creation.Print
Recipe: Chocolate Cloud Cake
Chocolate Cloud Cake
A rich and decadent Chocolate Cloud Cake recipe
Write a review
1 hr 20 min
1 hr 20 min
For the cake
- 250g dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa solids (I used three different bars for added depth of flavour)
- 125g unsalted butter
- 6 eggs: 2 whole, 4 separated
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau (optional)
- Grated zest of 1 orange (optional)
For the cream topping
- 500ml double cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Cointreau (optional)
- Half teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4.
- Line the bottom of a 23cm cake tin with baking parchment.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a dish set over a pan of hot water. As it melts, in another bowl, beat the 2 whole eggs and 4 egg yolks with 75g of the caster sugar. When the chocolate and butter have fully melted gently add to the eggs with the Cointreau and orange zest.
- In another bowl, whisk the 4 egg whites until foamy, then gradually add the 100g of sugar and whisk until the soft-peak stage. In small batches fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cake is risen and cracked and the centre is no longer wobbly.
- Cool the cake in its tin on a wire rack. The centre with sink considerably as it cools.
- Whip all the topping ingredients together until firm and stiff. Fill the centre of the cake, the holllow, and then dust with cocoa powder.
Spittoon Extra http://spittoonextra.biz/